Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Thing #3: Skype

How might Skype be used in the Library or classroom?
I love the idea of Skype. I say that because I haven't been able to use it yet. Skype, and I'm sure it works, would be great for talking to authors or connecting with other classrooms around the world. I remember participating in a group discussion with our state rep a couple of years ago. It was a disaster. One kid had to sit by the mic/phone thing and push the talk button when you wanted to say something. I couldn't here any of the other questions from the other classes. And I could't see who I was talking to.
Now with Skype not only can we see who were talking to, if you have the camera, you can talk to just about anyone in the world, if they have an internet connection.
One thing I did notice is that on my PC, whenever I look up a business, Skype makes it peculiarly easy to call them through my computer. If they're answering the call mobily (is that a word? If so, did I spell it correctly?) or with a land line, I get charged for it. Other than the non computer-to-computer calls, it's a great idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment