Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Thing #5 Micrblogging

Or the thing that keeps people up all night. At first I liked facebook, still do, but it became very old very quickly. I use it to keep in touch with long lost and distant friends. I check it about once a day for messages. I just don't want to know what someone is doing every second of the day. Yes, sometimes it's amusing, but most of the time it's just TMI. I do like getting to see what others are reading and listening to. I also like the way it mobilizes large groups of people, I just don't want to be one of those people so wrapped up in their phone they don't notice the scenery or the other, what are those things called...human beings around them.
This thing called back channeling...it used to be called "raising your hand and asking a question", right? Maybe I'm old fashioned, but if I'm presenting something, I would really appreciate the audience listening, and not tapping away on their phones or laptops. Maybe if they pay attention, their questions will be answered. Gee, I'm just a little sarcastic, but it's just plain rude to not give someone presenting your attention. I would like to think a presenter would take the time to field some questions and offer clarification if needed. I just think back channeling on Twitter could becomes a high tech game of telephone where the message gets lost in all the translations and interpretations. I guess it could be used to see if the correct message was delivered to an audience by following the tweet stream and seeing what it being said. As long as the message is being received the way it was meant to, I can see the power of twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment