Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Thing #7: Video Resources

My original thought for using videos was to find books that have been made into movies. I'd find key scenes in the movies and then find the text in the novel. We would read the text first, this after mindnumbingly countless lessons of imagery and setting and mood, etc. Then we'd would watch the scene from the movie and see if it lived up to their personal mental images of the scene. My only problem is finding movies of books they would appreciate. I don't think most of my favorites would work. Maybe scenes from Gone with the Wind...but I can't find the parts of GWW I want. I guess I'll have to learn how to pull from DVD's. Would Jing work on a DVD I watched on my laptop. I'll have to experiment...

So then I thought about mash ups. They could take central premises of their books and use bits and pieces of one movie to illustrate their book. That Ten Commandments one on the video for this Thing was hilarious. 

Finally I decided to use non fiction since that is one thing our kids struggle with on TAKS. Instead of read for information, they look up something they're interested in, appropriate for school of course, and do the following assignment:
1. What was the author's purpose
2. Was the author biased or neutral? If biased, was the author for or against the topic? 
3. List five good facts you learned from this video.
4. How will you apply the information you learned to school or your personal life? 
Just about any type of nonfiction video should work for this assignment. I chose the two below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment